700 Club (Television Program with Pat Robertson) shares Christopher's Miracle Story

The 700 Club with Pat Robertson

Christopher's miracle testimony was featured on the the February 4, 2014 episode of THE 700 CLUB. Please watch our VIDEO and share it with your friends and family.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Just the "run of the mill" flu


I was always anxious to go home from the hospital, but I have to admit going home had its stresses too.  I always felt like I was playing "catch up" with everything...the kids, the house, the bills, and the endless paperwork/phone errands.  It was just one thing after another, and I felt like I wasn't doing justice to any of it.  It was like trying to juggle with one hand tied behind my back.  Somebody please untie my arm!

After a few days at home the anxiety would subside, and we would settle into a routine.  Ahhh!  The simplicity and beauty of "the routine."  It was predictable and stable.  It gave me a sense of control.  Some people may think routine equates with boring and monotonous, but I welcomed it.  Bring it on!  Give me steady and safe over unexpected and unforeseen any day. 

Chocolate is good, but...
Whether you have a chronically ill child or not, just having 3 small children at home requires organization.  My "to do lists" and my calendar became my best friends.  On my calendar I had penciled in a baby shower I was invited to attend.  I was excited about going.  I took Christopher with me.  It felt like such a normal thing to do.  There were no IVs.  There was no talk of surgeries or procedures.  There was just adorable baby clothes, lots of happy faces, a celebration of new life, and cake.  I love cake.  It's my favorite dessert.  It was chocolate with chocolate frosting, not my favorite.  I like vanilla cake with lemon or raspberry filling and white butter cream frosting, but let's face it.  It's cake.  Just about any cake will do. 
vanilla is the best!!!

After the presents were unwrapped, the games were played, and the cake was eaten Christopher and I loaded into the car for the long drive home.  I made it about half way home when I started to get that "feeling."  You know the one.  It's the one where you feel achy, heavy, and nauseous.  You suddenly know you are getting sick, and just a little panic starts to set in.  You are thinking...no!!!  I don't have time for this.  I can't be sick.  I have too much to do.  Your default setting is to will it away, pretend it's not happening.  Maybe if I just say I'm not going to get sick, then I won't get sick.

I can't be sick!
That works about as well as trying to put a square peg into a round hole.  Your sick.  You know your sick, and you know you have to pull the car over...NOW!  Nothing like a little (or a lot) of vomiting to finally convince you that...okay, it's really happening.  I'm sick.

Next question...was it something I ate, or do I have the flu?  Please, don't let it be the flu.  If it's something I ate, Christopher won't get it too.  If it's the flu...well, Christopher could be in some trouble.  His digestive tract and his immune system are already compromised.  It flashes through my mind that the common flu could be deadly for him.  As beads of sweat alternate with the chills, I try to convince myself that it must have been the cake.

Yep, I'm sick!
At home with my thermometer I realize that it wasn't the cake.  I have a fever.  I know I have the flu.  My husband and I decide that the best thing to do is to quarantine me in the bedroom.  He will take care of the kids (poor guy, but amazing guy).  Hopefully, I didn't already contaminate Christopher, but the flu is so contagious. 

By the next morning I am still sick, and so is Christopher!  Now I am feeling nauseous and guilty.  I can't believe I infected my son.  There goes my chances for that "Mother of the Year Award."  Now what do we do?  We have never crossed this bridge before.  Christopher always gets the weird, rare stuff.  The flu is just too normal, but in him the flu doesn't even look normal.  He is REALLY SICK! 

Paging...Dr. Mike to Christopher's room, stat!
The doctor admits Christopher to the hospital almost immediately.  Because I have the flu too, Mike has to stay the weekend at the hospital with Christopher.  It gets better...they are in isolation, so he has to follow hand washing procedures, wear a gown, and wear a face mask for the entire weekend.  It's hot, uncomfortable, and impossible to sleep in.  Now I'm feeling "double guilt."  I not only made my chronically ill son sick, but now my husband has to spend the weekend in the hospital caring for him.  Valentines Day, our Anniversary, my Birthday are in serious "gift jeopardy!"  My husband, being the awesome husband and father that he is, didn't hold it against me. 

By Monday I was feeling back to my old self and just in time too.  Mike had to get back to the business of running a new company, and I had to get back to the business of caring for Christopher at the hospital.  Ahhh!!!  It feels good to be back to the old, predictable routine!

If you have never accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you can pray like this:



More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment