700 Club (Television Program with Pat Robertson) shares Christopher's Miracle Story

The 700 Club with Pat Robertson

Christopher's miracle testimony was featured on the the February 4, 2014 episode of THE 700 CLUB. Please watch our VIDEO and share it with your friends and family.

Friday, August 16, 2013

The trouble with tape

Here is an example of a feeding tube taped to a baby's abdomen.
Infection is a major problem for those who have feeding tubes.  If bacteria can find an opening in the skin layer, it will set up housekeeping and start to multiply.  The result can be topical infections that are easy to treat with antibiotics, or infections that go deeper into the skin layer (or to other parts of the body) causing more serious infections that may require IV antibiotics or even surgery.

Even though we were diligent about cleaning and caring for his feeding tube, Christopher still seemed to develop infections.  We tried to catch them early before the infections got out of control, but some of the infections were stubborn and fast moving.  It seemed next to impossible to prevent them, and the doctors were becoming concerned that one of these infections might become life threatening.

Knowing this, I was hyper vigilant about checking Christopher's tube and keeping it clean.  I would often check it several times an hour because some of these infections came on lightening fast and then would spread like wild fire.

This is another way of taping a tube to the abdomen.
One day as I was doing my usual tube hygiene routine I noticed that there was redness on the side of Christopher's abdomen, and it was spreading around to his back.  The redness was located underneath the tape that was anchoring the tube to his side.  Christopher was born with very sensitive skin, so I assumed that the tape was irritating it and causing the redness.  The answer seemed simple enough, just tape the tube to a different spot on his abdomen.  It seemed to do the trick.  The redness faded, and so did my concerns.

The next day the redness was back in the new spot that I had taped the tube to, so I moved the feeding tube over a bit and taped it to another part of his abdomen.  It wasn't long before the skin became red again!  This was beginning to get really frustrating, and I was running out of new spots on his abdomen to tape it to.  I was also running out of ideas and patience, so I decided to call the GI doctor for help.  She recommended that I try a different kind of tape.  Apparently, they have tape for people with sensitive skin.  Who knew? 

The medical supply company was very helpful in supplying us with several different types of tape to try.  After a little trial and error we found one that worked...for awhile, but his skin just wouldn't cooperate.  The redness came back, so I changed to a different kind of tape again and moved the tube around to different spots on his abdomen.  We kept hitting the repeat button on this scenario until finally his sensitive skin became red hot with infection. 

This is an infected feeding tube.
Immediately, I took him to see the GI specialist who prescribed antibiotics, but unfortunately they were the kind that required him to be hospitalized.  The infection had gone into the deeper levels of his skin.  He would need strong IV antibiotics to combat it.  There was one bright spot though.  The doctor believed that she could treat the infection with just a couple of doses of IV antibiotics which meant that we would only have to be admitted for the day.  If the redness and fever were retreating after the second dose, then we would be released to go home. 

That was the kind of plan that I could get behind.  I liked the idea of getting in, getting it done, and getting out.  We were admitted to the pediatric floor, and the IV fluids/antibiotics started flowing almost immediately.  By the end of the day his fever had broke, and the redness was definitely better.  The doctor was pleased with his progress.  We were released from the hospital and sent home with some liquid antibiotics that I would give him through his feeding tube for the next couple of weeks.  I could hardly believe our luck!  This was his shortest stay in the hospital that he had ever had.  It was quick, to the point, and effective.  Why couldn't it always be this easy?

I didn't waste any time packing up Christopher and heading for home.  Tonight we would eat dinner as a family and sleep in our own beds.  This had gone better than I ever could have expected.  Maybe we had turned a corner.  Maybe we were getting better at catching things early and finding more effective ways to treat them...OR maybe I was celebrating too early. 

This is a very infected tube!
Before I knew it, we were right back...at the hospital.  The first two rounds of IV antibiotics hadn't been enough, and the infection was back with a vengeance.  I think the only thing we had accomplished was really making this bacteria mad!  Evidence of it was spread all over Christopher's abdomen and back.  The infection was cherry red and super aggressive. Worrisome thoughts of more surgery started to swirl around in my brain.  Why can't things ever be simple?  Why is it always 1 step forward and 2 steps back?  I started to feel the old familiar black cloud start to creep in and settle in around us.  How could a simple piece of tape cause all this?

If you have never accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you can pray like this:

More tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. There is really God out there. thanks for sharing such a brave and inspiring life story. God will never desert you, he is right by your side consoling you. following you back from exposure 99% blog hop.